[Gllug] Making filenames 'FAT-safe' in bash

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Tue Nov 30 12:30:33 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I have a bash script which takes a list of files and copies them to a usb
stick, partially re-creating the original directory structure as it goes. This
all functions as expected until it reaches a file with non-FAT compatible
characters. So, how do I remove these characters? I need to handle filenames
with ' and " in them as well as ?, !, (, ), [, ], & ...

Any pointers would be gratefully received ...

Dx
--
" '... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...' "
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk