[Gllug] OT: Mains electricity colour coding.

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 10:31:54 UTC 2010

With regard to fuses, it seems to be a common misconception that, for example,
a 5A fuse will blow if yout push more than 5A through it.

In reality a 5A fuse will happily pass 5A  but it will take a substantial amount
more current to blow it.  I remember a female friend who complained that the
plug on her hairdryer was getting very hot  -  it was fused at too low a rating,
but the fuse did not blow, it just got very hot !

Sadly, efforts some years ago to get people to use plugs with correctly rated
fuses seemed to fail; I would take a bet that many domestic plugs have 13A
fuses in them even when 5 or 2 would do  (apart from those supplied with the
appliance originally).

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk