[Gllug] A linux printer ?

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Mon Oct 4 20:02:43 UTC 2010

  On 04/10/10 18:53, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> When I phoned HP tech support for support for my new printer a HP deskjet
> 4580 I was told by Nabil [he refused to give his last name] that "HP
> doesnt
> support linux!" Such a blanket statement has rather put me off HP
> products,
> which is a pity because I've had good results from one of their
> printers in
> the past.

Don't hold the opinion of a single non-helpful, poorly trained helpdesk
agent as gospel when it comes to HP, look up a printer you fancy on here:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html

Other manufacturers have well-supported models too, as you can see here:

http://www.openprinting.org/printers

In the shallow end of the printing pool (colour bubble-jet etc), you
will find HP to be the most consistent printer manufacturer by quite a
margin.

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins