[Gllug] Human memory

David L Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Sat Oct 16 20:51:02 UTC 2010

How do you keep a note of system tweaks, notes from learning about new
pkgs, etc?

In the recent "To partition or not to partition" thread, one of our
number said: "The rationale for this change is lost in the mists of
time. My memory's rubbish about such things  :-) " which struck a
resonant chord in my memory-challenged befuddlement.

For many years now I have resorted to using a 'lab book'* It records
both the rationale for operational changes and tweaks#, and contains
(copious) notes made whilst learning new topics and even useful snippets
from sources such as this list.

The trouble is that such pages are single-index and even if I manage to
keep a contents page, retrieval can be awkward. I used a wiki for one
learning project, but (not knowing how to structure the topic in
advance) found similar difficulties once the volume of information grew
beyond a handful of wiki-pages.

Do you use a tool for this job (beyond your own memory)? How about Trac
with its wiki for notes and the 'issues' side as both a ToDo and
'HowDone'(when done) record? Perhaps use a blog tool, taking advantage
of tags and text search?

An enquiring mind wants to know (and be able to recall),
=(aged) dn

* a quaint, if antiquated technology involving dead trees and a
monochromatic word processor known as a "ball-point" - only distantly
related to an "IBM golf ball", but a significant improvement on the dip
pens and quills with which we first trained...

# and a quite separate one for client work, which also doubles for
time-billing and bill justification purposes.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk