[Gllug] OT: Mains electricity colour coding.

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Oct 28 08:51:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 11:31 +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> Sadly, efforts some years ago to get people to use plugs with correctly rated
> fuses seemed to fail; I would take a bet that many domestic plugs have 13A
> fuses in them even when 5 or 2 would do  (apart from those supplied with the
> appliance originally).

Part of the reason for that is that almost all high street suppliers
only offer 13A fuses.

Recently I needed some 2A fuses and that only place I could get them was
a trade supplier - my local plumber told me to tell them I was buying
for him (even though paying cash) as otherwise they would not have
supplied me.

Mostly however it is a matter of lack of ignorance. People just don't
understand why they should use a lower rated fuse.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk