[Gllug] OT: Mains electricity colour coding.

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Oct 27 09:04:45 UTC 2010

On 27/10/10 09:20, t.clarke wrote:
> As an aside, and showing my age, I recall that when we got our first colour TV
> we would watch anything in colour, including various test programmes broadcast
> by the BBC.   One of those broadcasts was a CEGB training film that recommended
> to technicians the mnemonic SIDE:
> Switch-off
> Isolate
> Dump
> Earth

I too have a vivid recollection of that film.  They used to call them
"Trade Test Transmissions" and as a school boy I sought them out
eagerly.  Later they used the same title to describe simply the test
card, which wasn't nearly so interesting.  Then you had to listen out
for "Trade Test Colour Films" to get the interesting ones.  There was
also one about oil exploration in the desert.

I recall that film involving HT equipment in some sort of cage, with a
chap about to work on it and fortunately remembering the final step just
before he touched the kit.  Applying the belt-and-braces earth strap
brought a satisfying flash and bang - clearly one of the earlier steps
hadn't been done properly.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk