[Gllug] New week, new world: Spacewalk cf Cobbler

David L Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Sun Oct 10 20:51:56 UTC 2010

Is 'now' the time for rpm-based distro users to upgrade from Cobbler to
Spacewalk?

I'm (still) working (in my ?spare? time!) on refreshing my CentOS
systems. Currently I have 5.3 sitting happily in a Cobbler server, and
have been downloading 5.5 when I remember/there is unused allowance in
my monthly allocation...

'My' repo is primarily used to proxy multiple machines on my SOHO LAN,
and is sometimes taken to client locations or used remotely to support
client activities. When I start using VMs 'installation' will take on
yet another flavor...

The Spacewalk project has been making strides* recently. Is it really
'ready' for live firing?

Is there an 'official' policy that Spacewalk has/is/will absorb Cobbler
(and Puppet, and ...)?

Rather than update my Cobbler repos, should I bite-the-bullet and learn
to implement Spacewalk?

Is there a 'tipping-point' of 'scale' whereby 'little guys' should
continue with Cobbler whereas Spacewalk better suits larger operations?

Any and all advice gratefully received - and I'll be v.happy to be
pointed to authoritative web references, etc.
Regards,
=dn

* profound apologies to anyone hurt by this puerile humor. It amuses my
(small) mind that whilst Mark (aka Ubuntu) Shuttleworth became a
"Satellite" he did not enjoy a "Spacewalk"! Why are you passing my coat?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk