[Gllug] dd'ing a nearly empty disk to a SMALLER disk - is it possible?

Malcolm Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Sun Oct 31 18:28:59 UTC 2010

I need to transfer the contents of a nearly empty windows/linux
partitioned 500gb disk to a 320gb disk mirroring the windows-root-home
structure. There is less than 150gb actual content on this 500gb disk.
This is to transfer the windows XP which there are no disks to reinstall
the pre-installed XP that was on the original 40gb disk of the fujitsu -
which was replaced with a larger disk. That was no problem, of course.
But I bought 4x of these P4 computers for 50 quid the lot and now one of
the disks in one of them has died and I have 3 spare 320gb sata disks to
use.

Is this possible? How can I get the partitions and their contents,
especially the XP which is vital to my 13 year old daughters SIMS
playing(!) and a printer driver which is no longer available on the web
for the linux root partitions.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk