[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Wed Oct 13 11:43:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:58:20AM +0100, John Edwards wrote:

> Are there any performance hits for swap on LVM on RAID?

The difference between swap on LVM on RAID swap on RAID will will be
negligible, so the real question is how will swap on RAID affect
performance.

> I've a few servers that run Java programs that allocate large chunks
> of RAM (100s MB) that do not get used often and so tend to stay mostly
> in swap while the real RAM is used for more important things.

So these chunks are not swapped often, so the performance hit will be
irrelevant unless it is a BIG one.

> In the past I've tended to allocate old fashioned swap partitions
> (one on each disk) to handle this. With LVM on RAID1 I would end up
> using twice the space needed because of the mirroring, as well as
> extra disk writes.

What's the performance hit if your single swap partition fails?  Answer:
instant fail.  If you're using RAID for the other paritions but not
swap, seems a bit of an odd gamble.

--
Bruce

A problem shared brings the consolation that someone else is now
feeling as miserable as you.