[Gllug] Requesting a graceful halt for a sleeping package

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Fri Oct 15 21:22:30 UTC 2010

On Fri 15 Oct, Philip Hands wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 07:36:04 +0000 (GMT), Chris Bell <chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk> wrote:

> It sounds like it's actually rsync that's locking up, in which case you
> should be killing that, rather than the script.

   I wondered about that myself. Last night it was downloading at nearly
8Mbps for about two hours, rsync then appeared to finish, followed by the
check with just "receiving file list" in the log. I do not see any errors
reported, it just does not continue, and the trace file ie not updated.

> Running pstree (possibly with the -p option) should show you the process
> that ftpsync has spawned.  You could then have a look at what it's doing
> with:  strace -p <PID_of_rsync>
>
> chances are, it's waiting uselessly.

   Top tells me that the processor is at least 92% idle.

> The problem would seem likely to be that you have no keepalive/timeout
> on the underlying TCP connection, which is odd, because the default
> version of ftpsync I have sets --timeout 3600 by default.

   I am running the latest ftpsync, but my ADSL resets itself at random. My
modem reports that it has actually just managed to stay up for 100 hours,
although it has been anything down to just a few minutes, with rapid signal
to noise ratio changes, so TCP keep alive does have a hard job to do. I will
see what happens tonight. (I have changed the modem here, still random
changes).

   I have been downloading from rsync.mirrorservice.org, but should it be
ftp.uk.debian.org if I try that? Thanks for the help.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk