[Gllug] Common UNIX filesystem for OS X & Linux

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 12:41:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 01:26:21PM +0100, gvim wrote:
> On 04/10/2010 13:19, John Edwards wrote:
>>
>> I think the hfsprogs package does now support write access:
>> 	http://raamdev.com/mounting-hfs-with-write-access-in-debian
>>
>> There is the old UFS (Unix File System), but I think there is a file
>> size limit of 4GB on Mac OS X which might be a pain if you want to
>> store large file such as DVD images.
>>

> hfsprogs doesn't support writes to HFS+ Journaled partitions, which
> is what I'm after.

It can if the journal is clean (eg Mac OS X safely unmounted it at
shutdown) and you use the "force" option. That should be OK for a
data partition, but I'm not sure I would want to do that for the
Mac OS X root partition.

> Also UFS would cause headaches with Snow Leopard, I think, regardless of file size.

I haven't used Snow Leopard, so can't answer that. But another problem
with UFS is being dependent on Apple continuing to support it in
future Mac OS X releases.

So you are kind of stuck with what the propriety OS can support and
what the open source OS can reverse-engineer from the propriety OS.

If HFS+ and UFS don't work then FAT32 may be your only option for
something that both OS know well. I would recommend keeping a backup
of whatever you put on FAT32 for when the inevitability fuckup happens.