[Gllug] iPhone syncing

Mr Smin mr.smin at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 19 14:40:54 UTC 2010

On 19 October 2010 14:07, <damion.yates at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any experience with owning an iPhone without having
> > easy access to iTunes?
>
> None of you?

I have an iPhone 3G (but not 3GS), software version 4.0.1 . Unlocked but not
apparently jailbroken. Provenance unclear as it's 2nd hand - Cydia is
installed but when I used it to install a terminal, the terminal app quits
immediately. (Not a big deal for me, was just curious).

I am able to copy off photos easily in Ubuntu 10.10.

I tried to add non-drm MP3 files to it using RhythmBox but although it
appeared to be processing, the iPhone never showed it's 'synching' display
and the tracks did not even show up in the catalogue. Following a suggestion
on a forum, I synched with iTunes on an XP machine. This caused the iPhone
to  show the tracks, but it fails to play them.

No bricking (touch Steve Jobs!)

'genuine' copy of iTunes is a red herring since it's distributed at no
charge.

Mr Smin