[Gllug] Flash on RedHat Linux

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Oct 27 13:58:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 02:46:30PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 02:28:34PM +0100, Mick Farmer wrote:
> > It's EL4 that I'm running.
>
> This was supposed to be fixed in 4.7 (in a z-Stream release), but the
> history (from 2008) is a little bit confusing because although it says
> it's a fix for Flash 10, the associated packages are all for Flash 9.
> Having said that, I'm no expert on this so I may just be looking at
> the wrong thing.

RHSA-2010:0706 appears to be the most recent flash errata published
and it has separate versions of packages for RHEL3/4/5

   https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2010-0706.html

  "All users of Adobe Flash Player should install this updated package,
   which upgrades Flash Player to version 10.1.85.3 for users of Red Hat
   Enterprise Linux 5 Supplementary, and version 9.0.283 for users of
   Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and 4 Extras."

My guess would be that Flash 10.x depends on libraries that are not
available in RHEL3/4, so it is held to just version 9.x for those
distros.

As Rich suggests though, it is best to contact the Red Hat support team
directly if you have any queries about availability of updates to a
particular package version, particularly if you have any security
concerns/questions about the versions shipped.

Regards,
Daniel