[Gllug] OT: Mains electricity colour coding.

David L Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Mon Oct 25 22:39:07 UTC 2010

> This is why foreigners always carry a screwdriver.  You have to push the
> earth hole to move the live/neutral covers out of the way.

=ok:
1 I'm not a furrynor, and
2 my screw-driver was taken away by the Hitler-wannabe at Thiefrow so
now I carry a multi-tool (and none of that Leatherman garbage that bends
or breaks before the component even moves, but a "Buck tool" - a name
familiar to anyone who 'knows' knives (hunting or military context)) -
hey a nerd by any other name...

=it's really useful to know which way around the various plugs and
sockets/receptacles work. I can tell you from personal experience that a
belt from UK-style 240V-AC is considerably preferable to a US-style
110V-AC zap+crackle+smell+trip-across-the-room (and serious hang-over
for several hours thereafter!). Mercifully without first-hand evidence
or observation, I'd also suggest that feeds from a gen-set are to be
treated with even more respect - if not actual fear!

=would my hair still be its original color today had I heeded the pretty
colored picture warnings in those nice text books...?

> The real problem is of course that most continental circuits are fused
> at 16A so the plugs need have no protection device.  If you do that
> trick in the UK and have a short you are likely to fry the appliance
> cable instead of blow the fuse if there is a short.

=valid point. Traveling frequently I adopted a policy of buying
multi-voltage equipment (another free lesson: ALWAYS check your PC power
supply for a manual setting BEFORE plugging it in!) and even so quickly
became irritated by the need to replace plugs every time I moved. So now
I have a bunch of distribution boards (pls translate to word in your
dialect) and thus only have to change one plug (into the wall) and not
for every single appliance, eg system unit, screen, printer power pack,
and speakers' transformer - my desktop is currently running of an ex-UK
board whose power cord has been tricked-out with a New
Zealand/Australian 3-pin plug (which, true to expectation, has its earth
pin at the bottom instead of the top, per 'proper' (or UK) equipment!)
Currently the German equivalent is enjoying discarded-toy status, which
may mean that I have finally achieved nirvana (or nicht-ordnung?)

=however once the power company guy, who called-in to fix a
top-of-the-power-pole fuse, had recovered from his amusement (UK stuff
is HUGE compared to the fuse-less antipodean alternative), he
pointed-out both of these (this thread's) needs: correct observation of
+ and - (and separation/connection of ground/earth, obviously), and to
watch the effect of device power-line fusing 'within' circuits designed
to be (safety) controlled by house-level switchboard circuit breakers.

=I find those little tags they put on sold-separately British plugs very
useful - don't have to remember the color-code convention (per OP),
until I'm wiring-in a device from overseas or time-gone-by... I keep one
in my electrical tool-box at all times.

=and in case you hadn't guessed it yet: the local devices MUST also all
be color-coded, but according to a different convention!!!???

=Regards to all (open) "prisoners of mother England"
=dn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk