[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Wed Oct 20 14:46:50 UTC 2010

> > To be fair, the claim is that it doesn't really work at the moment
> > (too many dependencies on /usr from early init programs)
>
> See my previous claim that Fedora is headed towards an OS that caters
> for the common usage patterns at the expense of those that do things
> slightly differently. It really does work at the moment, and has done
> since the inception of Fedora. It only doesn't work for things that I
> don't use, and don't want to use. But that's deemed sufficient reason
> to prevent me from running the system the way I want (and have always
> done).

Agreed - IMHO most end-user distributions (Ubuntu, etc.) are headed
down a similar path.

Compare & contrast: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/philosophy.xml

Painful time-wasting manual package conflict resolution and subsequent
source tarball download / compile waits aside, "it works for me!"

After all, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

For some of us, flexibility is worth paying for :)

- Walter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk