[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Oct 11 20:34:47 UTC 2010

On Mon 11 Oct, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:26:52AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>

> >    A /boot using grub2 needs to be within / so that it has full access to
> > the kernel.
>
> This doesn't make any sense, because the kernel is normally kept on /boot
> already, so grub doesn't need to access / to get at the kernel or initrd

   I could not find the email from over a month back, and I did not see
anything amongst the current bug reports, it was probably sent to the debian
installer list (but may have been a temporary bug). I tried to upgrade a box
from the current stable to testing and it stopped part way through. I
decided to re-install from scratch using the original partition layout but
it would not boot until I re-partitioned without the /boot partition. There
were plenty of problems reported updating from grub to grub2, which may now
be sorted.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk