[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 12:19:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:

> A radical simplification of my above partitioning could be to just split data and programs, so 2 partitions:
> * /home (symlinks into here for: /tmp & /var)
> * / (everything else, ie : also /usr & /boot)
>
> What does the combined wisdom of this list think ?

Wouldn't work for me because I need /usr on a separate filesystem,
so it can be mounted readonly. Yes, I'm paranoid -- I like it that
way :-)

For me, I tend to have a /boot and then LVM for the rest of the
disk, in which I put /, /usr, /var, /tmp, /opt and /stuff (the
latter I use as a general scratch storage area[1] for things with
which I'm playing around at any given time). These days, I can't
understand why anyone would do anything other than /boot + LVM.

Tet

[1] In days gone by, I used to mount this as /scratch. At some
    point, that changed to /stuff. The rationale for this change
    is lost in the mists of time. My memory's rubbish about such
    things :-)

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk