[Gllug] Linux Source Address selection

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Mon Oct 18 21:35:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 09:41:04PM +0100, Nix wrote:
> On 18 Oct 2010, Walter Stanish told this:
>
> >>   For this case, see: 'man route' (traditional) or 'man iproute2' (newer)
> >
> > Actually I believe the correct man page for the relevant iproute2 tool
> > is 'man ip'.
>
> Indeed. Note that this lets you explicitly force the source address via
> 'ip route src ADDRESS'.

Is that not a preference that is being set, rather than an override?  I
believe that if I had an interface with two ip addresses on the same
subnet and I did "ping -I" from the non-preferred address, it would
ignore the preference.  I think it would do this if I had an application
configured to listen on the non-preferred address.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.