[Gllug] CentOS boot problem

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 22:19:58 UTC 2010

On 12 October 2010 16:45, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:

>> > Would it be dual boot with MS Windows and have Adobe s/ware on it ?
>> > I heard something recently about Adobe keeping license type info in ''spare''
>> > disk blocks immediately after the boot sector.
>> >

>> Do you have a URL describing the specifics of this.
>
>        http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/08/28/2112208/Some-Windows-Apps-Make-GRUB-2-Unbootable
>
> Since I don't have any machines that run MS Windows I can't comment on the article.

If that article is true, then we have ourselves a big problem.
I read from this that "HP ProtectTools, PC Angel, Adobe Flexnet" are
incompatible with whole disk encryption products like PGP and BECRYPT.
It is not so bad if all it does is corrupt GRUB, but if is wipes out
my whole encryption disk boot loader, repairing it is a whole lot more
difficult.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk