[Gllug] Flash on RedHat Linux

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Thu Oct 28 08:49:32 UTC 2010

On 28 October 2010 09:35, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Tha Linux stuff, it sucks. Just look at this - you can't even update
> your desktop softwarer without it breaking.
>
> Windows 7 for me from now on in. Steve Ballmer told me XP was out of
> date, and everyone is using Windows.
> Linux is Communism trying to take over the USA anyway.

Heh.

In all seriousness, however, I have never really liked Linux as a
desktop operating system.  I've found it the bees knackers for server
side stuff, but Linux and I have really never seen eye to eye when it
comes to replacing Windows or OS X.  I tend to use OS X for the
majority of stuff these days (at work), and Windows at home (the
excuse being that we have a large customer base that uses Windoze and
I need to keep abreast of what it's doing and how to break the damn
thing and then fix it).

All that said, I am beginning to warm to Ubuntu on the desktop.  It's
perhaps the best effort yet.  But it is still a fairly long way before
I'd ever consider it replacing my Macs and Windozes.

Speaking of Windoze - tried setting up a completely brand new Dell
laptop running Window 7 for a colleague yesterday.  No Windows install
disks - you have to burn your own.  Fired up the recovery disk
creation program which consequently crashed until I ran all available
updates to Windows.  And then you have to fight your way through tons
of unwanted programs installed by Dell (including the fudding dreadful
McAfee AV which demands you give it your details to activate it - had
to use the Task Manager to shut the program down and the uninstalled
the bloody thing straight away).

Mart
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk