[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Thu Oct 21 22:35:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 08:52:39AM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:

> In RHEL 5 the LVM tools required to boot the machine are in /sbin,
> with the ones not required to boot being in /usr/sbin.
>
> In RHEL 6, all the LVM tools are in /sbin.
>
> I've just checked this, please don't make stuff up.

I'm glad to know 6 has stepped back from the brink, then.  And I don't
consider having pvmove in /usr, as 5.x has it, to be at all a smart
thing to do.  I would expect to be able to manipulate /usr on its own
LVM partition (or move it onto one) without having to reboot to a rescue
CD or compile a special version with the binaries in more sensible
locations.  Guessing Red Hat realised this was silly, too, then.

--
Bruce

Bitterly it mathinketh me, that I spent mine wholle lyf in the lists
against the ignorant.  -- Roger Bacon, "Doctor Mirabilis"