[Gllug] CentOS boot problem

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Oct 12 11:21:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:06:18PM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a CentOS 5 machine. It was booting fine a few days ago.
> I did a "yum update" today and it installed various updates, one
> included the kernel.
> When I rebooted it, it fails to boot now, and comes up with a grub
> prompt, no menu, just a prompt.
> It will not take any keyboard input.
> Has anyone seen this before with CentOS.
> I have never seen it before with debian or ubuntu.
>
> I suppose I will have to boot from CD and repair it, but I think it is
> very bad if "yum update" kills a box so badly like this.

I had this on a centos 5 box in May, on upgrading to Centos 5.5
My notes tell me that there was a problem in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf
I had to comment out this line:
	    filter = [ "a/.*/" ]

See:
	http://readlist.com/lists/redhat.com/linux-lvm/0/1486.html

The above may/may_not be what is causing you problems.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk