[Gllug] HTML-based Email (Was: A linux printer ?)

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Oct 5 16:59:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 10:56:19AM +0100, Jan Henkins wrote:
> OK, fair enough. Still, this is such an age-old issue (I can remember
> this being a major flash-point in the beginning 90's), that I would have
> thought coping mechanisms have developed with the times. I am aware that
> text-based email clients (like Pine/Alpine, and I'm almost certain more
> hardcore tools like Mutt and Gnus) would help out in reformatting HTML
> mail that slips through.

I don't think the security issue is going to go away, unless we stop
untalented programmers hacking out HTML renderers in crappy languages
like C++ (ie. not any time soon).  Once you crack open the HTML door,
you need to allow so much stuff in -- images, Javascript, the latest
flavour of dynamic HTML, videos, audio -- that you end up with a
mountain of code to make secure.

This is not to say that text based mailers are bulletproof, but the
attack surface is smaller, older and not expanding [HTML5 q.v.]

So it was a major flash point in the 1990s, and I predict it will
continue to be so for some time to come.

> * Being originally from a bandwidth-poor country, wasting bandwidth
> still rankles. Sending text and HTML parts of a message does indeed
> "waste bandwidth", so I still get a bit uptight about it, even if the
> basic reason for me getting irritated about it (lack of bandwidth, and
> what is available tends to be prohibitively expensive) doesn't really
> exist anymore. At least not here in the UK.

The bandwidth isn't just the transmission of the HTML, it's displaying
it too.  I'm replying to your email over a very long ssh connection,
and that wouldn't be feasible if the original email had to be rendered
with graphics, video and sound.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones