[Gllug] Pre GRUB error messages

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Oct 29 16:47:20 UTC 2010

On 29/10/10 17:32, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> On 29 October 2010 17:01, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 29/10/10 09:16, gvim wrote:
>>> I've just loaded Ubuntu 10.10 dual booting with Windows XP onto an old Acer Travelmate 290 (circa 2005) and
>>> GRUB hangs for about 10 seconds. A few device error messages quickly
>> flash onto the screen before all is
>>> well but I can't read them. Are they likely to be logged anywhere?
>> Tried /var/log/boot and /var/log/boot.log
>>> but nothing similar in there.
>>
>> IME this tends to be caused by Grub2 furtling about trying to find a
>> non-existent floppy disc drive.
>>
>> I've yet to discover how to get it to stop doing that.
>>

> You can install grub with the --no-floppy option
> grub-install --help
>  for details.

That's fine if you're installing grub from scratch.  The practical
problem for an ordinary Joe User is that grub is already installed and
whilst it's easy to see how to invoke the --no-floppy option, it's an
almost insurmountable hurdle to discover what all the other options you
need to give at the same time are, plus the risk of rendering your
system un-bootable if you get it wrong.

I've spent a long time reading Grub documentation, and there does seem
to have been some improvement from Grub1 to Grub2, but I still don't
feel I understand what's going on or what all the options mean.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk