[Gllug] OT: Mains electricity colour coding.

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Oct 24 21:57:01 UTC 2010

Silly document quoth:
> The reason normal electrical appliances dont work in vehicles is
> because the power source isnt the same. Cars use AC power instead of
> DC, which is what we have in our homes.

Funny ...

Reminds me that a relative of mine many years ago managed to fuse a
whole hospital ward by plugging in her radio.  It turned out the
hospital (in Liverpool) was using DC, the radio obviously was standard
AC, and I imagine the current enjoyed the short circuit through one
side of the radio's transformer.

Well, that's the story as it was told to me.  I believe the story, but
I slightly can't believe that this hospital would use the same shaped
plugs and sockets, or that my relative forced a plug into a different-
shaped socket.  Anyone know more?

Rich.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk