[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 09:58:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:44:18AM +0100, Nix wrote:
> On 11 Oct 2010, Bruce Richardson spake thusly:
<snip>
>> But then I do
>> generally put all the major trees over onto their own lvm filesystems -
>> /usr, /var/, /home and swap,
>
> Yes indeed. /usr because you shouldn't run / out of disk space merely
> because you installed lots of stuff (and /usr tends to get all sorts of
> strange things done to it); /var because it is written to a lot
> (/var/log, /var/spool, /var/cache) so tends to go skewy before anything
> else when the power suddenly dies or an electrical storm hits; /home
> because it's easy to reinstall/upgrade without fear if /home is
> somewhere the distro installer won't smash; swap because, well, there's
> not such a good reason for that because configuring more swap is easy
> and it doesn't matter (within reason) how many swap partitions you've
> got. But it does let you *shrink* it if you configure too much and need
> the space later on.

Are there any performance hits for swap on LVM on RAID?

I've a few servers that run Java programs that allocate large chunks
of RAM (100s MB) that do not get used often and so tend to stay mostly
in swap while the real RAM is used for more important things.

In the past I've tended to allocate old fashioned swap partitions
(one on each disk) to handle this. With LVM on RAID1 I would end up
using twice the space needed because of the mirroring, as well as
extra disk writes.