[Gllug] Suitable Laptop for Ubuntu

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Fri Oct 1 12:58:22 UTC 2010

On Fri 01 Oct, j.roberts wrote:

> One reason I have started using K/Ubuntu on the desktop is that it
> mostly just works. (I have had various issues with support of laptop
> hardware bits under Debian, SuSE and Fedora, usually never fully resolved).
>
> Currently no issues and full support of hardware on:
>
> - 3 yr old Sony Vaio
> - 2 year old Toshibas various models
> - 2 year old Dell Inpirons
> - 18 month old Acers (various)
> - new ASUS (various netbooks and laptops)
>
> However on new hardware I'd want to see it all working first.

   There was a deliberate decision not to distribute some non-free drivers
with other kernel modules. Debian are testing a system where you can import
"contributed" or "non-free" drivers from those distributions, or from an
external device such as a USB stick, if not available from their "main"
distribution. I have an HP laptop which requires a non-free wireless driver,
although it can connect using ethernet for installation and to find the
correct driver.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk