[Gllug] A linux printer ?

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Tue Oct 5 09:09:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 07:15:55PM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> "Get a network printer" would always be mine. Almost always worth the
> extra cash for a network laserprinter...

I would agree with that network printing is so much easiler, in the old days
of parallel or serial you could buy generic print servers to put things on
the network, this is not possible with USB, the printt server has to
understand the printer!

For unix systems always get printers that can understand PCL and/or Postscript,
if they can do that, they will keep on working for as long as the hardware
still works I still have a working HP laserjet 5MP printer. I do like HPs
support even though this printer is very old new versions of drivers they
produce still are able to talk to it.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk