[Gllug] To partition or not to partition

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Oct 21 08:48:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 08:47:21AM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:17:46PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> >
> > I have mixed feelings about the FHS, POSIX and such-like: I feel it's
> > rather like delegating decisions to the EU.  As an organization it's
> > more closed and far slower moving than decision-making at the local
> > (Fedora, Debian etc) level.  It also seems to me that people policy-
> > launder unpopular stuff through POSIX to avoid having to make
> > decisions openly (same for the EU for that matter).
>
> The FHS is an important part of the LSB.

Big whoop.  I actually looked at LSB compliance across 8 common Linux
distributions and basically no distribution follows it in a way that
is useful.  That's partly because it is absurd in many places (like
the requirement for RPM, or the dependency of the base LSB tools on
X), partly because no one cares, and partly because it's obsolete
(Sys-V initscripts).

FHS, well, the last standard was in 2004, and as we know, filesystems
*never* change.

You can't base stuff on a standard and organization that is opaque and
(in this case) dead.  Or just opaque and requiring huge fees to be a
member, as in the case of POSIX.

It is much better to delegate these sorts of decisions to the
community, and in this case that's exactly what is happening: The
Fedora developers are having a discussion of what has changed and how
to do it properly.  Fedora doesn't live in a world of its own, but has
people like me coming from all over the place.  I regularly use and
administrate Debian, Ubuntu and Gentoo, so if something interesting is
happening there I can communicate that back.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat