[Gllug] Apache update failing in Ubuntu 10.04

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Mon Oct 11 00:18:36 UTC 2010

On 11/10/10 00:25, Steve Parker wrote:
> On 10/10/10 23:59, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>
>> Hi all,

>> As you can see it complains about the package "apache2-mpm-worker" not
>> being installed (amongst others) yet when I try to install it it tells
>> me it requires the removal of several things including
>> apache2-mpm-prefork (which it what I thought I was trying to update!)
>> and php5 and all my php5 modules! Clearly that's not cool.
>>

> Unless I'm missing something, this just looks like a case of apt-get
> dist-upgrade, or at worse, apt-get -f install

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly...

I tried dist-upgrade and I get pretty much the same errors as before...

r0g at steppa:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
3 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Setting up apache2.2-common (2.2.14-5ubuntu8.2) ...
ERROR: Module reqtimeout does not exist!
dpkg: error processing apache2.2-common (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apache2-mpm-prefork:
  apache2-mpm-prefork depends on apache2.2-common (= 2.2.14-5ubuntu8.2);
however:
   Package apache2.2-common is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing apache2-mpm-prefork (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apache2:
  apache2 depends on apache2-mpm-worker (= 2.2.14-5ubuntu8.2) |
apache2-mpm-prefork (= 2.2.14-5ubuntu8.2) | apache2-mpm-event (=
2.2.14-5ubuntu8.2) | apache2-mpm-itk (= 2.2.14-5ubuntu8.2); however:
   Package apache2-mpm-worker is not installed.
   Package apache2-mpm-prefork is not configured yet.
   Package apache2-mpm-event is not installed.
   Package apache2-mpm-itk is not installed.
  apache2 depends on apache2.2-common (= 2.2.14-5ubuntu8.2); however:
   Package apache2.2-common is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing apache2 (--configure):
No apport report written because the error message indicates it's a
follow-up error from a previous failure.
                             No apport report written because the error
message indicates it's a follow-up error from a previous failure.
                                                         Errors were
encountered while processing:
  apache2.2-common
  apache2-mpm-prefork
  apache2

I tried to "edit/fix broken packages" in synaptic and that didn't help.
I'm a bit wary of trying "apt-get -f install" as googling around there's
lots of people saying this borked their system and I'm loath to risk a
system rebuild for such a minor annoyance!

Cheers,

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk