[Gllug] Monitoring a user session

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Oct 13 10:06:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 06:53:38PM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a computer support person that I wish to let into my Linux
> system via ssh.
> I wish to see what he is doing and I will be discussing steps he takes
> with him while doing it.
> It will be command line with him connecting in via one ssh session,
> and me connecting in via a second ssh session.
> I also wish to log the entire session.
>
> What do people recommend?

GNU screen can do this:

http://www.debian-administration.org/article/Using_GNU_screen%27s_multiuser_feature_for_remote_support

I use GNU screen all the time and it's great, provided you do a little
bit of configuration first time to make it usable:

http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/screen/

However I have not used the multiuser feature so I can't comment on
how well that works.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones