[Gllug] Outlook exchange alternatives

Ian Baillie ian.baillie at westminster.org.uk
Thu Sep 9 11:08:48 UTC 2010

On 9 Sep 2010, at 10:20, John Hearns wrote:

On 9 September 2010 09:46, Jan Henkins <jan at henkins.za.net<mailto:jan at henkins.za.net>> wrote:
 On 09/09/10 01:57, Christopher Hunter wrote:
I hear rumours, from my German friends, that those nice folk at Suse are
working on "something" to replace Exchange....

Could it possibly be based on Bongo? The codebase used to be NetMail,
then Hula (both Novell projects), and then abandoned. At least Bongo is
still going strong.

Oooh, this does sound good.
I shall bore the list one more time with the tale of how I was the
first UK customer for the SuSE email/collaboration suite about ten
years ago.
Back then, choosing an email and authentication server was not the
almost automatic "Get MS Exchange" it is today, and I was looking for
a replacement for Netscape if anyone remembers that far back.
The SuSE product came on a DVD, and installed itself on a bare metal
server from scratch - these days that's not so impressive, but it was
then,
ie. you did not have to first install a Linux box then break out an
extra set of CDs - everything came out of the box, and worked
together.
Maybe Novell can now repeat the exercise.

I remember that one. I picked up a boxed set ages ago as I wanted to look into it, but never got around to installing. Probably too late now, lol

Ian Baillie

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk