[Gllug] OT: Network connection for home to cloud backup

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 23:21:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 09:56:35PM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> I have already had a flyer from BT claiming that Fibre is already available
> in my area (Hornchurch).

It is already enabled on a few exchanges, including some in North London:
	http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband/fibre-broadband/bt-exchanges-currently-fttc-enabled.aspx
	http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband/fibre-broadband/bt-exchanges-being-fttc-enabled-in-2010.aspx

But most of London has to wait until December 2010 or March 2011.

>  I have a feeling that cabinet is right down the other
> end of my (quite long) road, so whether the maximum speed they are claiming
> is achievable remains to be seen.

Maximum speed will be just that, a maximum, and very dependent on both
distance and quality of cabling.

A client of ours north of Bedford has finally got ADSL to work on one
of their lines, at about 450Kbit/s. So I don't think us Londoners can
complain too much about speed.
;)

> At present it seems to get this wonderful new service you have to go directly
> to BT.
<snip>

No, just an ISP that resells it (same as ADSL):
        http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband/fibre-broadband.aspx

At the moment it requires a new faceplate on the BT sockets and
a new VDSL modem.

I'm not sure what happens about Local Loop Unbundling though.