[Gllug] Memory scanning

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 11:38:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 11:55:23AM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
<snip>
> BTW, I don't think this idea is viable commercially.  Intel have for
> years been trying to virtualize Windows and insert virus scanning in a
> "hypervisor layer" beneath it.  They have more money than Croesus and
> they've poured pots of it into vPro, with no visible outcome so far.

And now VMware are having a go:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/06/virtual_security/print.html
    http://www.vmware.com/products/vshield-endpoint/

Though the virus scanning is in a dedicated virtual machine and not
the hypervisor itself. It's not clear it is the hypervisor that
initiates the virus scanning or the OS of each virtual machine.

One of the selling points is "Protect antivirus security software
from attack". It really says something about the current crop of
anti-virus software that they need to be protected from the very
things they are designed to stop. Or maybe more about the OS they
are supposed to protect.