[Gllug] moving system from one disc to another

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Sep 2 00:21:56 UTC 2010

On 1 Sep 2010, Richard Jones spake thusly:

> On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 02:08:16PM +0000, James Hawtin wrote:
>> I agree with /boot and / on real disk partitions having root on LVM can be a
>> nightmare!
>
> Not had a problem with root on LVM.  What are the issues you see?

I suspect if you're not using something half-decent to build your
initramfs, or have initramfses containing modules critical to mount your
rootfs and have initramfses in separate files such that they can be
loaded into the wrong kernel, all hell can break loose.

Myself I just build the initramfs at kernel build time using the
machinery in the kernel build system...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk