[Gllug] moving system from one disc to another

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Wed Sep 1 14:00:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 10:35:10AM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> With regard to 'dump' it seems from the man page that one cannot restrict the
> archive to 'base' filesystem only (ie if / is the filesystem to be dumped
> anything mounted on it will also be archived).   So I guess this would also
> require a CDrom boot.

Actually it is the opposite, you dump does not cross filesystems so a dump
of / will only have / in it. Dump unlike cpio or tar can get under mount
points, so if you have files hidden by a mount they will also be dumped.

> I believe that:
> grub
> root (hd1,0)
> setup (hd1)    would create a grub MBR on the copy disc

The problem with that is the boot loader "learns" the wrong address for the
disk, and when you change it in the bios to the boot disk it becomes the hd0
however its trying to read from hd1

> but I was running scared of possibly wrecking my main disc, so in the end I
> shut down, re-booted off a CDrom with the new drive only connected (re-jumpered
> as a master) and did
> grub
> root (hd0,0)
> setup (hd0)