[Gllug] Black screen, probably a KDE fault.

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Sep 1 23:58:32 UTC 2010

On 31 Aug 2010, John Hearns said:

> On 31 August 2010 21:29, John G Walker <johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> The first reason for doing this was that I was continually having
>> problems with /tmp filling up. And someone on this list opined that
>> anyone who didn't have /tmp in ram was mad (or words to that effect).

Probably me.

>> The second reason, which I discovered once I'd installed it, is that it
>> doesn't half speed up response,

A whole bunch. All that temporary stuff never needs to hit the disk, even
if it is still written out when a writeback pulse happens. (And even using
e.g. -pipe with GCC, there is still a lot of temporary stuff written
to /tmp. Note that with non-tmpfs filesystems, it might be written out
even if unlinked, as long as something is still holding it open: and of
course this is the common case for temporary files.)

> True, but it does use up your RAM!

No more than any other filesystem (i.e. it uses up some page cache).

It can use up your *swap*, though. Consider it a way of using swap for
file storage :) with modern machines having so much RAM that swap is
fairly rare, I'm a great believer in using it for many things at once:
dirty pages, /tmp, hibernation...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk