[Gllug] X11 problems

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sun Sep 12 08:18:53 UTC 2010

Hello,
   I have been running Debian Squeeze (testing) on an HP laptop for some
time, frequently updated as new versions appear, and several times have had
X11_xorg fail following a kernel update, resulting in a complete system hang
which required a power cycle, although it continued to work using the
previous kernel. It would start to work again eventually, only to fail again
with the next kernel update. On each occasion it would run OK in single user
"recovery mode".
   On the last update the previous kernel also failed to boot, and I decided
to completely re-install. I have tried both the Gnome/gdm and KDE/kdm
desktops, and both fail with a complete system hang and blank screen at the
point where X11 starts to boot.
   There are many bug reports for the Xserver, including the Intel
82852/855GM/855GME fitted. Are we trying to build a mountain on thin ice?

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk