[Gllug] Assistance with arguments to use Linux!

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 16:07:41 UTC 2010

On 2 September 2010 17:01, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 September 2010 12:49, Benjamin Donnachie <benjamin at py-soft.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 2 September 2010 11:39, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Seriously - management will respond better to some bloke in a suit
>>> with laptop and Powerpoint.
>>
>> Excellent suggestion!  Though I think I'm actually making progress on
>> the security front!  Phew!  Must get some Linux in here somehow...
>>

> For security, use EAL4 certified configurations of Linux.
> Linux is used at GCHQ and the MOD. Just google "GCHQ Linux"
> http://www.gchq.gov.uk/about_us/technology.html

And regarding security. In the firewall rules, filter both incoming
and outgoing traffic.
For example, a site I visited had had someone break in and manage to
logon to the system.
>From the logs, one could see that they tried to ftp, http and scp a
rootkit onto the system, but as the firewall preventing outgoing ftp,
http and scp, the root kit was never downloaded. The server was still
taken offline, but an offline integrity check verified that they had
not managed to change much.
If the firewall had only filtered incoming traffic, the situation
could have been a lot worse.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk