[Gllug] cloud based backup and sync

Dennis Furey dennis at basis.uklinux.net
Tue Sep 28 21:35:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 09:38:41PM +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:

> Any recommendations or warnings?

Tarsnap.com seems to be well regarded though I have no personal
experience with it. There's also rsync.net. They're both a little bit
pricey but not so bad if you're only storing 15GB. My own preference
is to use Amazon S3 with the s3tools (http://s3tools.org). You can
synchronize a directory with an S3 bucket but not quite as
conveniently as with a remote filesystem. (E.g., S3 imposes a flat
hierarchy and limits on file sizes).

There are also privacy issues with any remote backup solution hosted
by someone other than yourself. I take the precaution of first locally
synchronizing my home directory with a loopback mounted luks encrypted
filesystem image, and then splitting the backing file into fixed sized
pieces named x0000, x0001, etc., which are synchronized with an S3
bucket only then. Doing that also works around the file size and
directory structure limitations of S3.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk