[Gllug] Email futures: [was Outlook exchange alternatives]

David L Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 00:07:28 UTC 2010

(I hope the OP's objectives have been satisfied, so that I might take an
OT turn without diluting/causing offense)

> Oooh, this does sound good.
> I shall bore the list one more time with the tale of how I was the
> first UK customer for the SuSE email/collaboration suite about ten
> years ago.

> Maybe Novell can now repeat the exercise.

Yes a familiar story - an oldie but a goodie <grin>, but why would
Novell/A.N.Other want to repeat the exercise? Client or server!

Email has become a very pedestrian topic 'it just works' as they say.
How many [FOSS] devs are 'attracted' to work on email cf those 'into'
social networking and other 'the latest thing'(s)?

I've read quite a few articles recently about the imminent demise of
email - alongside a good many that talk about building a new, improved
(and secured) version of email.
(not that I've actually SEEN any real evidence of either...)

Yet at the same time, after stoically enduring two lectures on 'brands'
and 'online marketing' back-to-back this morning <shudders visibly>, the
stats are indisputable: more ppl use email (ie "prefer" in my simple
view of life) than utilise all the Twitters and Facebooks combined - by
a factor of ten.
(many different claims range about that figure, but are consistent in
import)

I've been looking at a few of the 'dashboard' ideas* but have been
wondering about the 'in thing' of a few years back: "the universal
InBox" - is anyone developing an extension of the email client (and
possibly a use/news client...and possibly a web browser...and possibly
an RSS reader...) to include and combine (?intermingle) the messaging
side of the social networking systems?

Would one even want to?

Regards,
=dn

*recipes for information overload or truly tools to manage the overload?

(NB I'm neither a twitterer nor would anyone want to read a book about
my visage - much more likely: being first up against the (Facebook)
wall, come the revolution)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk