[Gllug] Assessing WLAN capabilities

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Sep 4 07:42:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 09:49:05AM +1200, David L Neil wrote:
> 01:05.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan
> chipset (rev 01)

I had one of these.  They were a ---ing nightmare.

Anyway, it's an 802.11b (11 Mbps) only chipset.  According to a bit of
googling, it may support WPA with a firmware upgrade but for such an
old laptop that may be more trouble than it's worth.

I agree with the IBM engineer up to a point.  It's fine to use old
hardware, but you should use it within the limits of its capabilities
back then.  It's unlikely that Linux ever supported the wireless
chipset on this laptop well, so stick with wired ethernet which works
perfectly then and now.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones