[Gllug] moving system from one disc to another

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Thu Sep 2 13:04:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 07:29:38PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 02:08:16PM +0000, James Hawtin wrote:
> > I agree with /boot and / on real disk partitions having root on LVM can be a
> > nightmare!
>
> Not had a problem with root on LVM.  What are the issues you see?

People extend the volume group onto a another disk accessed by a different
controller the initrd is not updated, and then the incomplete volume group
will not mount and the computer will not run enough to fix and it

Boot disks for virtually any distro will mount a physical partition however
you need the right version of LVM, to activate it. I have done updates on a
server and found when i needed to use a boot disk that it would not mount
it, which a physical root you can fix it up so at least that boots, get it
to dump you to single user and fix the rest of it.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk