[Gllug] cloud based backup and sync

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Tue Sep 28 20:38:41 UTC 2010

Hi all,
      I've been using an old server as backup system for ages - but
the PSU died and I'm appreciating the quiet.

So I'm looking into cloud based backup solutions - with the idea being
that I can sync files between three laptops (ubuntu netbook, debian,
and windows) - as well as having a remote backup.

It looked like jungledisk would do what I wanted - but I found the
software very flaky - and the network disk didn't quite work the way I
wanted (it provided on demand download with a cache)

I want all files held locally with sync occurring when a network is
available - I don't need full backup just selected directories
(photos, music documents etc - around 15Gb but not usually many
changes each day)

Ubuntu one looks good - apart from being Ubuntu only (as far as I can see)

There seem to be a lot of options around

http://www.nickhammond.com/2010/01/06/cloud-based-backup-choices/

and I'm tempted to try dropbox next

Have people on this list used similar setups?

Any recommendations or warnings?

--

Sean Burlington

www.practicalweb.co.uk