[Gllug] OT: Network connection for home to cloud backup

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Tue Sep 14 14:19:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 1:40 PM, James Holland <holland.james at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 12:23 +0000, Andy Millar wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 08:16 -0400, Andrew Farnsworth wrote:
> > > Have you considered Comcast?  I get 4 Mbps uploads. I know many don't
> > > like Comcast but it does work. YMMV of course.
> >
> > Are Comcast available in the UK? Their site looks a little too American.
> >
> > You can look at services that will give you Business ADSL with up to
> > 2MBit/s upload.
> >
> > http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=bonded+adsl
> > might also be an option, but I can't recommend any suppliers.
>
> I use Bethere.co.uk and get over 1 meg upload for about 14 quid a month.

I currently get about 1.2Mbit/s uplink out of BE even though all my traffic
is tunneled through amsterdam or luxembourg first.

I've toyed with the idea of balancing the tunnels over the bar next door's
wifi. This kind of thing could work well if you have a few cooperative
neighbors (or public wifis) within range - assuming you're not all trying to
bittorrent at once :)

BE also offer line bonding service themselves - it costs about £85/mo inc.
phone lines which they can now provide. Speed 44Mbit/s down and 5Mbit/s up.

Rob