[Gllug] mobile broadband recommendations

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Mon Sep 13 11:43:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 9:35 AM, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I have a MiFi, which works great.
> If you haven't seen one, they are small boxes which contain a SIM and
> 3G circuitry, plus a wireless router.
> You can connect up to I think six devices. It charges off the USB
> cable, so if youa re thinking of something semi-permanent for
> home use rather than a fixed line this is a good bet.

Another option is the dovado UMR;

http://www.dovado.com/UMR.html

It's a small wifi router that you can plug the USB 3g stick into and it will
redistribute it over wifi (in the manner of a MiFi) and also over Ethernet
from a built in 4 port switch. I believe there are actually quite a few
devices like this out now - a quick google turned up this one;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-3G-6200N-nLite-Broadband-Router/dp/B002GNHOCQ/ref=pd_sim_computers_3

but I expect there are hundreds of these things by now.

Also android mobile phones now support wifi tethering. I just bought a
samsung galaxy s and it bridges wifi -> 3g very nicely right out of the box.

Rob