[Gllug] pipes and C++

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Tue Sep 14 08:39:21 UTC 2010

Thanks for the help and pointers.

As the problem seemed to be the XML parser I went for the idea of sticking
the two command line apps inside a script (first produces a graphml file,
the second coverts that into either an svg or a stream of data).

The third is a qt app and displays the svg.

So ... if you want a graphical representation of your processes arranged
in a red-black tree and ordered by either memory use or cpu time you are
more than welcome to download it and try it.

It's all a bit crude at the moment, but assuming you are a geek with some
interest in computer science you might find it fun for a few minutes (I'd
be particularly keen to know if it works on other Un*x-like systems)

To do this - clone the three git repos at

http://github.com/mcmenaminadrian

build them all and then in the treeqt directory run

sh startup.sh| ./treeqt --r 1

if you just want to produce an svg for offline examination try

../memball/memball --cmd | ../treedraw/treedraw --s

For just a graphml file (you may have a graphml reader) try

../memball/memball --?

for options

(If you use more than memball you may have to download the appropriate
libraries for the xerces parser -  and Qt - if you hven't got them on your
system)

Happy to recive screenshots or svgs if you run this on interesting systems
or anything that isn't Linux

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk