[Gllug] Outlook exchange alternatives

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 14:41:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 11:18:28AM +0000, John Maclean wrote:
> Chaps,
>
>  Are there any decent Outlook alternatives out there, preferably open? Compiling a list of options right now and happy to share it once complete. Essentially, the calendar is the main problem.
>
> Sharing events and calendar entries has been problematic with google apps talking to an exchange server.

This has been a huge problem for years, not really properly addressed. It is a shame since it would
help speed Linux desktop adoption. Would need a sugar daddy, much of it is almost there, just
a few things missing. The main problem is an open implementation of the MAPI protocol, most implementations
seem to rely on the non free bynari library.

We need a free drop in MS exchange server and a free way of fully being a MS exchange client.

This seems to be going there, but no idea when:

	http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Office/Groupware/OpenChange-664.shtml

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/