[Gllug] Email provider

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Wed Apr 6 08:02:37 UTC 2011

On 6 April 2011 08:51, T Menezes <tm.onthemove at gmail.com> wrote:

> Who are good hosting companies for home / small business? What are the
> potential gotchas? Do I register the domain name myself and then take it to
> a server hosting company? Or should I register with the hosting company?

Obviously I'm going to recommend my own employers, Memset
(http://www.memset.com) as we deal with consumers and businesses alike
and offer reasonable priced VPSes - with or without cPanel/WHM ;)

I strongly advise you do not register a domain with the hosting
company - keep it separate.  I myself use 123-reg.co.uk and
Namecheap.com.  While 123-reg is Webfusion (vomits), it's worked for
me for the past decade or so and haven't given me any problems.  In
terms of DNS hosting, most hosting providers (including ours) have the
ability to host your DNS records for you.  That said, see previous
thread here about dealing with your own nameservers/letting somebody
else do it for you.

> Some people have already suggested software for virtual servers. Because of
> the email for my wife's business, I need to hit the ground running. So I'd
> prefer a package where (nearly) everything is ready to go. Or one with a
> fast learning curve.

Again, cPanel/WHM can do this for you - and if you needed to host a
web site or three it can do that as well.  But you'll be paying extra
for the license for the convenience.

Regards,

Martyn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk