[Gllug] london hackspace news / Cheap 2nd hand rackmount servers

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 2 00:27:49 UTC 2011

On 30/03/11 22:56, Jasper Wallace wrote:

> I don't know why last.fm got rid of them, but they are in the 4-5 years
> old age bracket, They may of moved to hosting in the cloud.

Reasons for retiring old servers vary. They were "white-box" kit which
is more difficult to manage with regard to support contracts. That's one
reason for removing them, but the main one was that the cost of a server
is relatively low compared to the cost of the data centre space it's
hosted in - so at some stage it's cheaper to replace 2 or 3 racks of kit
with 1 rack of new stuff. You get same or better performance, as you
ride Moore's law, and you don't have to buy more colo space, which gets
very pricey. Once kit is fully depreciated (3 years in most places) the
accounting process of writing it off gets much easier.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk